Our mandate and mission are broad and complex, but in our Strategic Plan, we’ve presented three overarching goals:
- Increase quantity, quality, and timeliness of research information
- Speed implementation and use of evidence
- Influence research funded by others
Supporting these goals are five mutually reinforcing imperatives:
- Research: We fund a comprehensive agenda of high-quality patient-centered comparative clinical effectiveness research and evaluate its impact.
- Engagement: We engage patients, caregivers, clinicians, and other healthcare stakeholders in the entire research process, from topic generation to dissemination and implementation of results, and in all our activities.
- Dissemination: We disseminate findings from our research to all stakeholders and support its implementation.
- Methods: We develop and promote rigorous patient-centered research methods, standards, and best practices.
- Infrastructure: We promote and facilitate the development of a sustainable infrastructure for conducting patient-centered outcomes research.
And underlying everything we do is a set of core values that reflect our ideals:
- Usefulness: We focus on funding research that provides actionable answers to questions that are important to patients and the healthcare community.
- Transparency: We work in the open and facilitate public access to build trust, encourage participation, and promote implementation.
- Patient-centeredness: We rely on patient perspectives and values to guide and improve our work.
- Inclusiveness: We study broad patient populations and seek to provide evidence that is tailored to patient’s demographic and clinical characteristics, as well as their preferences.
- Evidence: We consistently rely on the best available science, and we evaluate our work to improve its reliability and utility.
We welcome your involvement in our work, participating as a researcher or a healthcare stakeholder either on a research team or in other PCORI activities.
Posted: September 10, 2014