Health System Leaders Working Towards High Value Care through Integration of Care and ResearchDate
April 23, 2014 - April 24, 2014
This workshop, sponsored by the Patient Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI) and convened by the Institute of Medicine, engaged health system leaders, researchers, and patient representatives in a discussion of efforts to generate new knowledge through a continuously learning health system. This model is intended to generate and apply knowledge from routine delivery of medical care, so as to continuously study and improve healthcare practices. The workshop also examined the relative value of research from the perspective of various groups, ranging from patients to chief executive officers. The group considered opportunities for executive engagement in leadership, focusing in particular on development of the National Patient-Centered Clinical Research Network (PCORNet).
The first of a series of two workshops, this workshop provided an opportunity for sharing of best practices from organizations on the leading edge of leveraging research and analytics for performance improvement, increased efficiency, and better care value; as well as identifying and addressing common challenge issues such as regulatory oversight, models of sustainability, proprietary considerations, and governance.
The goals of the April 23-24 workshop were:
1. Foster the development of a shared commitment, vision, and strategy among health system leaders building a national clinical research network.
2. Broaden and deepen health systems’ leadership awareness of the prospects for and from a continuously learning health system.
3. Learn from models and examples of productive integration of research with care delivery programs.
4. Identify common issues compelling to health systems leaders related to science, technology, ethics, regulatory oversight, business, and governance.
5. Explore strategic opportunities for executive, clinical, and research leaders to forge working partnerships for progress.
6. Consider the approach and desirable outcomes of a meeting of CEO leaders vital to building and sustaining a functional, real-time national clinical research network.
Health System Leaders Working Toward High-Value Care Through Integration of Care and Research— Workshop in Brief