The resources below are provided to PCORI funded recipients as required by the terms of their PCORI-funded research contract. The resources are applicable to the various funding cycles and include templates that will be used to report various administrative, financial, and programmatic updates to the status of projects. This reporting allows PCORI to successfully monitor the performance of the research projects to ensure adherence to deliverables, milestones, and other requirements described in your PCORI-funded research contract.
For a full listing of all closed PCORI Funding Announcements (PFAs), click here.
PCORI uses the following reporting templates to successfully monitor the performance of the research projects to ensure PCORI funded recipients adhere to deliverables, milestones, and other requirements described in their research contracts.
- Appendix A: Interim Progress Report *
- Appendix B: Final Progress Report
- Appendix C: Expenditure Report Template
- Appendix D: Notification for Public Acceptance
- Sample Invoice Template
- Standard Contract for Funded Research Projects
- Monthly Reporting Template for PCS, Targeted, and Selected Other PCORI-funded Studies
- Cost Considerations: Description of Allowable Direct Costs under a PCORI Award
* This document was updated on February 24, 2016
PCORI Online Training Resources
On September 19, 2016, PCORI debuted a new version of PCORI Online for PCORI funded recipients. The new online platform offers a more productive way for awardees to manage their PCORI-funded projects (e.g., the ability to upload and store documents) and provides a more efficient means to collaborate with PCORI staff. The documents below were provided as part of a series of training sessions to prepare current awardees and others to transition to the new platform.
- PCORI Online FAQs
- PCORI Online Training Archived Webinar Presentation (September 2016)
- PCORI Online Training Presentation Slides
- Research Awards User Guide
- Research Awards Cheat Sheet - Progress Reporting
- Research Awards Cheat Sheet - Project Management
- Submit Draft Final Research Report for Peer Review
- Engagement Awards User Guide
- Engagement Awards Cheat Sheet - Progress Reporting
- Engagement Awards Cheat Sheet - Project Management
Guidelines for Use of PCORI Names and Logos
This document provides guidance and other related guidelines for proper usage of PCORI's names and logos.
Publication in the scientific literature represents a critical and often early step in the dissemination of research findings. This PCORI policy assures broad access to these findings, improving the quality of information available to support decisions about health and health care as consistent with PCORI’s mandate. Under this policy, Awardees may request funds to cover the public access fees that journals charge. PCORI also directs Awardees to deposit their accepted manuscripts in PubMed Central.
- Instructions for Awardees to Request PCORI Payment of Public Access Fees for Journal Articles
- Instructions for Awardees for Depositing Manuscripts in PubMed Central Following Acceptance – forthcoming
- Public Access to Journal Articles Presenting Findings from PCORI-Funded Research - Policy
Peer Review of Research Studies
By law, all PCORI-funded primary research must undergo peer review and all results must be made available to the public. To comply with the law, PCORI developed a process for peer-reviewing our primary research and making research findings publicly available in a form and format useful to patients, clinicians, and others.
Find out more about the Peer Review process.
Draft Final Research Report - Tips for Awardees
Please remember that the draft final research report should be a detailed report of all work completed as part of the PCORI funded contract. The report should:
- Include a detailed discussion of the study’s adherence to PCORI methodology standards
- Describe in detail how the researchers engaged patients and stakeholders in the development, execution, and interpretation of the study
- Incorporate all study aims, methods, and results that were planned and executed
- Include the statistical analyses and results, even if inconclusive
- Step-by-Step Instructions for Awardees: Peer Review of Draft Final Research Report
- How to Submit the Draft Final Research Report
- Ancillary Information Conflicts of Interest Disclosure Form Relating to PCORI-Funded Research Project
Reporting of Research Results to Study Participants and Partners
As part of our commitment to the patients and other stakeholders who contribute to our research projects, we believe that these participants and partners should be directly informed about the results. We ask that awardee institutions make "every reasonable effort" to ensure that study participants and partners receive the abstract the PCOR Translation Center prepares summarizing a study’s results in an accessible style.
- Return of Results to Study Participants - Background
- Return of Results as Addressed in PCORI's Process for Peer Review of Primary Research and Public Release of Findings
PCORI Policy on Data and Safety Monitoring Plans for PCORI-Funded Research
This Policy outlines the requirements of the Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI) for data and safety monitoring related to research funded by PCORI.
Training: Managing PCORI Research Contracts
This training course provides an introduction to managing research contracts with PCORI, explains the objectives and processes of monitoring and reporting on PCORI-funded projects, and discusses the closeout process for PCORI contracts.
Obesity Treatment Options Set in Primary Care for Underserved Populations
Eugene Washington PCORI Engagement Awards
- Application Guidelines: Engagement Award (Knowledge, Training and Development, and Dissemination Awards)
- Application Guidelines: Engagement Award (EAIN Research Meeting and Conference Support)
- Interim Narrative Report Template
- Final Narrative Report Template
- Sample Invoice Template
- Standard Agreement for Funded Engagement Award Projects
Posted: December 2013; Updated: December 8, 2016