PCORI will make a variety of external funding opportunities available throughout the course of its work, including Requests for Proposals (RFPs), which are awarded through a competitive process. Each RFP contains its own statement of work, requirements, and evaluation criteria.
- Comparative Effectiveness Research on the Treatment of Multiple Sclerosis: This request for information (RFI) is to identify patient registries and research groups with established cohorts of patients for potential collaborative research opportunities on comparative effectiveness research (CER) on the treatment of multiple sclerosis (MS) and to seek relevant input. PCORI is interested in supporting CER studies, including observational studies and/or randomized clinical trials that focus on the treatment of MS, with an emphasis on symptoms as outcomes. PCORI has consulted extensively with the MS community, including patients, clinicians and researchers, and with representatives of the pharmaceutical industry, private and public insurers to identify key research questions. PCORI has concluded that a large, representative cohort with extensive clinical information and the capacity to gather data directly from patients is a promising approach for conducting useful studies in this area. We are therefore interested in obtaining information on the potential and the level of interest in collaborative research on topics identified by the stakeholder community.
This opportunity is to provide information about the creation and participation in a 5-year collaborative effort that would result in a large number of patients with MS who would participate in observational longitudinal studies and randomized clinical trials. Teams of investigators would be invited to form a collaboration among clinical sites that include a large number of people with MS for observational studies and clinical trials focused on a specific set of CER questions.
Notice to Respondents
The Patient Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI) issues this Request for Information (RFI) to obtain information on the data and resources as well as interest and capacity to develop and execute large scale collaborative research projects on the treatment of multiple sclerosis (MS). The intent of this RFI is to inform PCORI’s CER research initiatives. While this RFI is open to all, PCORI is particularly interested in responses from organizations and individuals who have knowledge of and experience working with existing large patient registries and/or established patient cohorts oriented towards patient care and research on the treatments of MS.
This request should not be construed as intent, commitment, or promise to acquire services, supplies, or solutions offered. No contract will directly result from any response to this RFI. PCORI will use the information submitted in response to this RFI at its discretion and will not provide comments to the responder’s submission. Information learned from this RFI may be reflected in future PCORI research funding solicitation(s).
Information Due: July 27, 2015
- Peer Review of PCORI’s Funded Research RFP: PCORI is seeking a Contractor to conduct and manage the peer review of final reports and other documents resulting from PCORI-funded primary research projects. The Contractor, working under the direction of PCORI staff, shall establish the peer review infrastructure to collect reports, recruit and assign peer-reviewers, and synthesize the reviewer comments in a manner that can be conveyed to the Awardee. In essence, the Contractor will carry out the operational aspects of the process from start to finish, including training of peer-reviewers and PCORI staff. This shall be done in accordance with the highest recognized professional standards and practices for scientific peer review. The Contractor should follow the guidelines established in the final process entitled “PCORI’s Process for Peer Review of Primary Research and Public Release of Research Findings,” which was adopted by the PCORI Board of Governors on February 24, 2015 and reflects PCORI’s desire to incorporate broad stakeholder input into its peer-review process.
- Download this RFP
- Q&A about this RFP
- Amended Timeline
- Pipeline to Proposal Initiative
- Methodology Standards Academic Curriculum
- Accredited Continuing Medical Education and Continuing Education for Clinicians RFP
- Collecting Stakeholder Views on Patient-Centered Comparative Effectiveness Research RFP
- PCORI Reporting and Analysis Taxonomy RFP
- Evidence to Action Networks RFP
- PCORnet Communications Support RFP
- Large Pragmatic Studies RFI
- PCORnet Infrastructure Sustainment RFI
- Institutional Review Board
- Dissemination and Implementation Action Plan
- Scientific Survey Services
- PCOR/CER Roadmap for State Policymakers
- Landscape Review- Understanding Options to Reduce Disparities in Cardiovascular Disease through Comparative Effectiveness Research
- National Patient-Centered Clinical Research Network Coordinating Center
- Comprehensive PCORI Training Curriculum Development Project
- Comprehensive Inventory of Research Networks
- Pilot Projects Monitoring Services
- Results Analysis Services
- Survey Research Services
- Review of Guidance Documents for Selected Methods in Patient Centered Outcomes Research (Contracts)
- Review and Synthesis of Evidence for Eliciting the Patient’s Perspective in PCOR
- Expert Stakeholder Interviews to Identify Evidence for Eliciting the Patient’s Perspective in PCOR
- Methods for Setting Priorities in Research (White Papers)
- Analysis of Input Received on Working Definition of “Patient-Centered Outcomes Research”
Posted: May 21, 2013; Updated: July 13, 2015