What Is Expected of a PCORI Reviewer?
All reviewers will:
- Understand and apply PCORI’s mission, vision, and review criteria, which differ somewhat from those of other funding institutions.
- Complete approximately 2-4 hours of required online reviewer training and seek help from PCORI if you have a question or concern. (Periodic training refreshers may be required when the review process or criteria are updated.)
- Identify conflicts of interest following established PCORI guidelines.
- Agree to review all assigned applications for a single round of applications and to prepare a written critique of each application reviewed. Reviewers can expect to review approximately 6 applications per cycle.
- Represent the perspective of a broad group of patients, caregivers, or other stakeholders, and see beyond specific individual experience.
- Provide scores and written critiques electronically by the established Merit Review deadlines
- Read approximately 15-20 additional application abstracts prior to the in-person meeting, to facilitate an informed discussion in their panel session. For information about our travel and compensation policies, please click here.
- Participate in a one- or two-day peer-review panel meeting; in-person attendance is required for all reviewers. PCORI will make needed accommodations whenever possible, if specific circumstances, such as a disability, limit a reviewer’s ability to participate at the in-person meeting.
- Provide feedback to PCORI in the form of follow-up surveys and via group interview.
Compensation Information: New PCORI reviewers will receive $50 for each application they review and will receive a $200 stipend for each day of the in-person Merit Review. PCORI Reviewers (returning) will receive $75 for each application reviewed and a $200 stipend for each day of the in-person Merit Review. All travel and lodging will be coordinated by PCORI for the in-person meeting. If meals and ground transportation are not provided, PCORI will provide reasonable reimbursement. More information about travel policies can be found here.