Bennett Levitan, MD, PhD
Senior Director, Epidemiology, Janssen R&D, LLC.
Term ends April 2018
Bennett Levitan, MD-PhD, is Director, Epidemiology at Janssen R&D Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson. He introduced state-of-the-art patient-focused benefit-risk assessment to Janssen and has led numerous teams in preparation of benefit-risk assessments for regulatory submissions and health authority advisory meetings. He has co-led cross-disciplinary teams to implement processes to support growing regulatory requirements for development and post-approval benefit-risk assessment. Dr. Levitan has published widely on both theoretical and pragmatic aspects of patient-focused benefit-risk and is a frequent speaker on the topic. He co-led development of the PhRMA Benefit Risk Action Team (BRAT) Framework for drug benefit-risk assessment. He serves on several PhRMA committees that influence policy in this field and on numerous international groups that focus on benefit-risk methods and policy including the ISPE Benefit Risk Assessment, Communication and Evaluation (BRACE) team and the DIA Benefit-Risk Group, and he is on the steering committee for the Medical Device Innovation Consortium (MDIC) Patient-Centered Benefit-Risk Project. He received his BSc in electrical engineering from Columbia University in New York and his MD-PhD in bioengineering from the University of Pennsylvania.
Conflict of Interest Disclosures
As of November 3, 2016:
- Janssen Research & Development, LLC, Employer
- Johnson & Johnson, Stock
- Baxter Internation, Inc, Stock
- Pharmaceutical HOLDRS Trust, Stock
- Zimmer Holdings, Inc., Stock
- Pharmaceutical company, stock (parents, in-laws) (diversified portfolio that may periodically include pharmaceutical or medical device companies)
- Janssen R&D projects with RTI Health Solutions and Duke University – Clinical Lead
- Medical Device Innovation Consortium’s Patient-Centered Benefit-Risk project – Steering committee