Board of Governors
PCORI is governed by a Board of Governors of between 21 and 23 members. The Board represents a broad range of perspectives and collective expertise in clinical health sciences research. The Comptroller General of the United States appoints appoints at least 19 but no more than 21 members of the Board, including its Chairperson and Vice Chairperson, in accordance with PCORI’s authorizing law as amended. Additionally, the Director of the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality and the Director of the National Institutes of Health (or their designees) serve as members of the Board of Governors.
PCORI's Methodology Committee works to define methodological standards for research and develop and regularly update a translation table to guide health care stakeholders towards the best methods for patient-centered outcomes research. The Methodology Committee is composed of up to 15 members appointed by the PCORI Board of Governors plus the Directors of the National Institutes of Health and the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (or their designees).
Governing & Operations Documents
Below you’ll find information and resources about our governance and operations.
- PCORI Authorizing Law, as Amended (for an outline of key provisions of the 2019 amending language, see this brief).
Management & Governance Policies
- Board & Methodology Committee Compensation and Reimbursement
- Board Meetings and Hearing
- Conflict of Interest
- Conflict of Interest Rules for Research Funding
- Employee Acceptance of Gifts and Payments
- Employee Participation in Political Activities
- Investment Policy
- Research Misconduct Policy
- Role and Duties of the Board
- Staff Conflict of Interest
- Whistleblower Policy
Research Access Policies
- Data Management and Data Sharing
- Public Access to Journal Articles Presenting Findings from PCORI-funded Research
Communications & Website Policies
Posted: September 10, 2014; Updated: February 4, 2020