Asthma Evidence to Action Network
The Asthma Evidence to Action Network (Asthma E2AN) is PCORI’s first collaborative network of awardees. The network grew out of the Healthcare Delivery and Disparities Research's Addressing Disparities targeted research initiative to improve adherence to the national asthma guidelines.
The Asthma E2AN includes asthma studies across three of PCORI's five National Priorities for Research -- Addressing Disparities, Communication and Dissemination Research, and Improving Healthcare Systems -- and the PCORI Pipeline to Proposal Awards program
The Asthma E2AN has two primary goals:
- Enable cross-learning and information sharing among asthma awardee teams, including researchers and patient and stakeholder partners
- Connect awardee teams with the end-users of research—that is, patients, clinicians, payers, policymakers, and others not directly involved with the research who can put findings into practice
Ultimately the Asthma E2AN aims to enhance the usefulness and relevance of asthma research, and increase the likelihood that study findings will be adopted to provide patients and caregivers with information to make informed healthcare decisions, improve the delivery of asthma care, and reduce persistent disparities in asthma outcomes.
Why I’m Involved: Stories from Patients Shaping Asthma Research
PCORI’s support is bringing the voice of patients, caregivers and the broader healthcare community to research. To date, PCORI has funded 16 asthma-related projects for over $59 million. The awardee teams include 12 studies conducting patient-centered comparative effectiveness research (CER), one project focusing on building a national research infrastructure, and three projects focusing on building engagement and capacity for research and sharing research findings.
PCORI’s Asthma Evidence to Action Network (E2AN) launched in 2014 with one goal of engaging awardees, including researchers and patient/caregiver and stakeholder partners across PCORI to facilitate cross learning and collaboration.
To facilitate engagement of patient/caregiver partners and bring their stories to life, we decided to capture their experiences in shaping asthma CER. We spoke with three patient/caregiver partners from different projects and asked them questions about partnering on research projects.
This video can be used by awardee teams when recruiting new patient/caregiver partners to share their important contribution to the research, when familiarizing research team members to patient-centered CER, and when sharing information about the research project. It conveys the power of participatory research for the research community, policy makers, funders and the general public.
View/download the PCORI Research Spotlight on asthma.
- Pitch and Commit (September 9, 2015)
This webinar introduces a framework for delivering a compelling project pitch to potential stakeholders or other partners, funders, and end users.
- Story Making (May 29, 2015)
PCORI co-hosted a webinar for the Asthma E2AN that explored the importance of telling the story of the projects and what story elements are needed.
- View Webinar Recording
- Download Presentation Slides
- TedMed Talk - "What happens when patients become leaders on the health team?" (By America Bracho, Executive Director, Latino Health Access)
- TedMed Talk - "Does anyone in healthcare want to be understood?" (By Sally Okun, Vice President for Advocacy, Policy and Patient Safety, PatientsLikeMe)
- PCORI Asthma Evidence to Action Network: Webinar on Engagement (April 22, 2015)
PCORI hosted a webinar for the Asthma E2AN on engaging patients and stakeholders in the conduct of research.
- Beyond Your Research Study: Opportunities for Patients and Other Stakeholders at PCORI (June 22, 2016)
PCORI hosted a webinar that discussed opportunities available for individuals to get involved with PCORI.
- American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology (AAAAI)
- American Lung Association
- Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America (AAFA)
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) National Asthma Control Program
- Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
- National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI)
- #asthma (hashtag)
Posted: June 12, 2015; Updated: June 28, 2016
What's Happening at PCORI?
The Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute sends weekly emails about opportunities to apply for funding, newly funded research studies and engagement projects, results of our funded research, webinars, and other new information posted on our site.