The PCORI Strategic Plan: Our Bold Vision
A Bold Vision for PCORI's Future
Our Strategic Plan builds on our past work and articulates a bold approach to addressing the challenges that a complex, fast-changing healthcare system poses to the communities we serve. The Plan was developed with extensive stakeholder input, including individual and group discussions and informal and formal convenings, such as a 2021 meeting series organized by the National Academy of Medicine resulting in its publication.
Extensive stakeholder feedback during the strategic planning process clarified the particular importance of five areas of emphasis for our future work:
- Enhancing our focus on studies of the effectiveness of both existing and new interventions, therapies, care delivery approaches, and technologies
- Expanding evidence synthesis capabilities to meet the timely evidence needs of policymakers and better leverage our long-standing role as a convenor of diverse healthcare stakeholders to influence the value of patient-centered research
- Leveraging our long-standing role as a convenor of diverse healthcare stakeholders to inform others across the healthcare community about the value of patient-centered research
- Strengthening an emphasis on subpopulations in the studies we fund, including patients who could particularly benefit from patient-centered comparative clinical effectiveness research (CER) results
- Re-emphasizing our commitment to patient-centeredness, meaningful stakeholder engagement, and supporting ongoing development of the partnerships across the healthcare community that both facilitate and amplify our work
Enhanced Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
The Strategic Plan calls for a redoubling of efforts to:
- Identify and address any racism or bias in our funding processes
- Seek ways to further advance inclusivity and diversity among the stakeholder communities that shape our work and participate in our funded studies
- Enhance our efforts to include those historically excluded from the research process as PCORI’s merit reviewers, peer reviewers, advisory panelists, and other roles important to PCORI’s work
Enhanced Focus on Adaptability and Responsiveness
We are committed to monitoring and assessing the rapidly changing healthcare and health research landscape and developing our capacity for a nimble response to emerging and pressing patient and stakeholder needs.
Regularly engaging with patients and stakeholders will enable PCORI to remain aware of the health-related issues and complex realities patients face in their everyday lives—where they live, work, learn, and play.
More about Our Bold Vision
What's Happening at PCORI?
The Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute sends weekly emails about opportunities to apply for funding, newly funded research studies and engagement projects, results of our funded research, webinars, and other new information posted on our site.