Planning Our Evaluation, Reporting the Results
Evaluating Our Work
PCORI is a Learning Organization
Our strategic plan focuses on:
- Funding and conducting highly relevant research that is likely to change practice and improve patient outcomes
- Disseminating and promoting the implementation of the results of this research
- Influencing how clinical research is done by others, so that a greater proportion of all clinical research is useful to patients and other healthcare decision makers
While we are evaluating our work, we are looking to see if:
- we are accomplishing what we set out to do;
- whether our strategies and priorities are advancing us toward our goals; and
- we are having the desired impact of improving health outcomes.
Our Evaluation Plans Are Organized into a Framework
The PCORI Evaluation Framework 3.0 guides how we conduct our day-to-day work, how we are progressing toward our strategic goals, and ultimately, if and how "research done differently" will make a difference for patients and public health. Our framework reflects our strategic plan and evolves along with our work because, even as we attempt to answer the initial questions, new ones arise.
The PCORI Evaluation Framework was developed with input from stakeholders and staff. Read more about our discussion at the Advisory Panel on Patient Engagement January 2014 Meeting and at the Board of Governors May 2014 Meeting.
We Use a "Dashboard" to Report to Our Board
We use visual metric tracking, or "dashboard," for reporting what we are learning and how we are incorporating our findings into our work.
Our dashboard continues to evolve, and we update it and its supporting materials bi-annually to present to the Board in a public meeting.
View our Dashboards
Q4 2020 | Q3 2020 | Q2 2020 | Q1 2020
Q4 2019 | Q3 2019 | Q2 2019 | Q1 2019
Q4 2018 | Q3 2018 | Q2 2018 | Q1 2018
Q4 2017 | Q3 2017 | Q2 2017 | Q1 2017
Q4 2016 | Q3 2016 | Q2 2016 | Q1 2016
Q4 2015 | Q3 2015 | Q2 2015 | Q1 2015
Q4 2014 | Q3 2014 | Q2 2014 | Q1 2014
Q3 2013 | Q2 2013
How We Evaluate Progress Toward Our Goals
As described in our strategic plan, PCORI has three goals:
- Increase useful information
- Speed the use of that information
- Influence research to be more patient-centered
Each of three Strategy Committees, made up of members of our Board and Methodology Committee, focuses on one of these goals and the metrics and evaluation activities associated with it. Since 2013, PCORI has been using early and intermediate process and output measures as a way to monitor its progress toward its strategic goals.
Posted: November 13, 2014; Updated: June 23, 2021