Engagement in Research: PCORI's Foundational Expectations for Partnerships
Address these expectations when:
- Applying for PCORI funding
- Developing a project plan and engagement plan for awarded projects
- Reflecting on engagement during a project to improve and strengthen engagement over time
PCORI's Foundational Expectations for Partnerships in Research
Background on Foundational Expectations
The Foundational Expectations for Partnerships in Research update the 2014 PCORI Engagement Rubric and provide expectations for meaningful engagement to advance patient-centered comparative clinical effectiveness research (CER). PCORI has generated evidence about the benefits and challenges of engagement from multiple studies of these projects.
Building on this practice-based evidence, PCORI undertook a collaborative and inclusive process in 2022 and 2023 to update the Engagement Rubric, which resulted in the Foundational Expectations for Partnerships in Research. This process involved:
- Collaboration with the Advisory Panel on Patient Engagement, including meetings to identify, prioritize, and review expectations.
- A convening with 46 diverse attendees, including awardees, patients and other partners, funders, and thought leaders.
- A review of existing guidance related to engagement in research as well as PCORI evidence and resources on engagement.
- Focus groups with 16 PCORI awardees and 17 patient partners.
- Interviews with 24 people with expertise in engagement and diversity, equity, and inclusion.
If you have any questions, please contact us at [email protected].
Last updated: February 2024
What's Happening at PCORI?
The Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute sends weekly emails about opportunities to apply for funding, newly funded research studies and engagement projects, results of our funded research, webinars, and other new information posted on our site.