|These PCORI Funding Announcements opened on Tuesday, January 7, 2020.
Letters of Intent were due Tuesday, February 4, 2020, by 5:00 p.m. ET.
Full applications were due Tuesday, May 5, 2020, by 5:00 p.m. ET.
The Broad PCORI Funding Announcements (PFAs) seek investigator-initiated applications for patient-centered comparative clinical effectiveness research (CER) projects aligned with our priority areas for research. This PFA covers the following four priority areas: Addressing Disparities; Assessment of Prevention, Diagnosis, and Treatment Options; Communication and Dissemination Research, and Improving Healthcare Systems. Applications should address needs of patients, caregivers, clinicians, and other healthcare stakeholders in making personalized clinical decisions across a wide range of conditions, populations, and treatments. Note: In general, PCORI will not cover costs for interventions that are being compared in the proposed study.
These broad areas encompass the patient-centered comparative clinical effectiveness research we support. As our work progresses and we engage with a broad range of patients, caregivers, clinicians, and other healthcare stakeholders, we may develop additional national priorities for research.
Our National Priorities for Research and Research Agenda is a framework to guide our funding of comparative clinical effectiveness research that will give patients and those who care for them the ability to make better-informed health decisions. The framework was developed by workgroups of our Board of Governors, members of our Methodology Committee, and staff. It was revised in response to public comments and accepted by the Board on May 21, 2012.
PCORI’s reauthorizing legislation provided additional direction about national research priorities, noting that they should include research with respect to intellectual and developmental disabilities and maternal mortality.
For this cycle, PCORI has also included the following Research Areas of Interest: genetic sequencing to guide cancer treatment, peripheral artery disease, and suicide prevention. The goal of calling these out is to encourage submissions on these topics and priorities, not to limit submissions to these topics.
Reminder: The primary institution’s Administrative Official must review, authorize, and submit the full application by 5 pm ET on May 5, 2020.
- Broad PFA
- Broad Submission Instructions
- Broad Submission Checklist
- Applicant FAQs
- PCORI Online: Pre-Award User Guide for Research Awards
- Tips for Preparing a Responsive Letter of Intent (LOI)
- Research Plan Template
- Methodology Standards Checklist
- People and Places Template
- Leadership Plan Template (Only required if proposed project is dual-PI)
- Milestones Template
- Subcontractor Detailed Budget Template
- Budget Justification Template
- Letters of Support Table
- Resubmission Letter Template
- PCORI Methodology Report and Standards
- Policy on Submission of Research Contract Applications
- Ambassador Center
- Engagement Rubric
- Engagement in Research
- Budgeting for Engagement Activities
- Compensation Framework
- Cost Principles: Description of Allowable Direct Costs under a PCORI Award
- PCORI Merit Review Criteria
- Standard Contract for Funded Research Projects