The resources below are available to PCORI contract recipients as required by the terms and conditions of their PCORI-funded contract. The resources are applicable to all funding cycles and include links to reporting platforms and templates used to report programmatic, administrative, and financial updates regarding the status of PCORI-funded contracts. This reporting allows PCORI to successfully monitor the performance of the funded contracts to ensure adherence to deliverables, milestones, and other requirements.
For a full listing of all closed PCORI Funding Announcements (PFAs), click here.
PCORI uses an online system, PCORI Online, to successfully monitor the performance of funded projects to ensure PCORI-funded recipients adhere to deliverables, milestones, and other requirements described in their contracts.
Accessing Your Awarded Contract in PCORI Online
In order to set up your account in PCORI Online, please refer to the User Access Cheat Sheet. All users should set up their own individual accounts. The PI must also submit a list of authorized users to firstname.lastname@example.org to ensure that appropriate access to the award is granted in PCORI Online. Please download, complete, and return the Authorized Users Request Form here.
Interim and Final Progress Reporting
All PCORI progress reports must be submitted within PCORI Online. PCORI Online offers an enhanced platform for awardees to manage their PCORI-funded contracts (e.g., the ability to upload and store documents) and provides more efficient means to collaborate with PCORI staff.
For information regarding what each required report submission may entail, please see the PCORI awardee training session series.
A summary of updates to the Research Awards progress report templates is here (updated June 2017). Awardees may view the updated progress report templates directly within PCORI Online. **Separate reporting requirements may apply to Engagement Awards, Infrastructure Awards, or Dissemination and Implementation Awards; see Additional Resources for Specific Awards section below.
- PCORI encourages regular email and phone communication between awardees and their PCORI team throughout the duration of the project.
- Effective June 2017, PCORI awardees are requested to submit monthly enrollment updates directly to their Program Officer (PO) and Program Associate (PA). Awardees should discuss reporting needs and format with the PO/PA.
Adherence to the PCORI Methodology Standards
PCORI’s Methodology Committee has developed a set of standards for our funded research. These standards represent baseline practices in planning, design, and conducting studies, ensuring patient-centeredness, and engaging patients throughout the research process.
- PCORI awardees should adhere to the applicable Methodology Standards for their projects. Adherence should be described in progress reports and the Draft Final Research Report.
- The PCORI Methodology Standards Checklist is available as a resource for awardees.
- The PCORI Methodology Report provides minimal requirements to follow in the conduct of scientifically valid patient-centered outcomes research.
Awardee Training and Resources
Managing PCORI Research Contracts
This training course provides an introduction to managing research contracts with PCORI, explains the objectives and processes of monitoring and reporting on PCORI-funded projects, and discusses the closeout process for PCORI contracts.
- Launch the Managing PCORI Research Contracts Training (Some Materials To be Updated)
Other Contract Compliance Resources
- Appendix C: Expenditure Report Template
- Appendix D: Notification for Public Acceptance
- Sample Invoice Template
- Standard Contract for Funded Research Projects Template
- Standard Contract for Dissemination and Implementation Awards Template
- Standard Contract for Engagement Awards Template
- Cost Principles: Description of Allowable Direct Costs under a PCORI Award
PCORI Online Resources
Updated January 2018: The following training materials include detailed guidance on managing your awards using PCORI Online and may not reflect the most recent changes to the system. Please refer to the summary of updates in the progress reports for your award type; updated resources for PCORI Online will be provided shortly. Any technical questions should be directed to email@example.com.
- PCORI Online Post-Award Training FAQs
- PCORI Online User Access Cheat Sheet
- PCORI Online User COI Guide
- PCORI Online Post-Award AO Cheat Sheet
Research and D&I Awards
- Research Awards User Guide
- Research Awards Cheat Sheet - Project Management
- Includes instructions for accessing your project and creating your account
- Research Awards Cheat Sheet - Progress Reporting
- Submit Draft Final Research Report for Peer Review
- Engagement Awards User Guide
- Engagement Awards Cheat Sheet - Progress Reporting
- Engagement Awards Cheat Sheet - Project Management
- PCORI Online Submitting Invoices User Guide
- Invoice Phase II Cost Reimbursement Research Awards Webinar Presentation (October 2017)
- Invoice Phase II Cost Reimbursement Engagement Awards Webinar Presentation (October 2017)
- Invoice Phase II Hybrid Award Webinar Presentation (October 2017)
- Invoice Phase II Firm Fixed Price Award Webinar Presentation (October 2017)
- Invoice Phase II Cost-Reimbursable Research Award User Guide
- Invoice Phase II Cost-Reimbursable Engagement Award User Guide
- Invoice Phase II Hybrid Award User Guide (October 2017)
- Invoice Phase II Firm Fixed Price Award User Guide (October 2017)
Managing Your Contract in PCORI Online
- Contract Negotiation User Guide
- Contract Negotiation Cheat Sheet
- Contract Negotiation Training Video
- Contract Modification User Guide
- Contract Modification Cheat Sheet
- Contract Modification Training Video
- Contract Remediation User Guide
- Contract Remediation Cheat Sheet
- Contract Remediation Training Video
Public Access to PCORI-Funded Research
Study Registration Requirements
PCORI adopted a process for public release of the results of the comparative clinical effectiveness research studies that it funds. This process includes registering and submitting summary results information to ClinicalTrials.gov for relevant clinical trials and observational studies. Patient registries are similarly required to be registered on ClinicalTrials.gov and the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality's Registry of Patient Registries (RoPR).
Note: Methodological and other projects that are not clinical studies and are therefore not appropriate for reporting to ClinicalTrials.gov must instead be registered in the National Library of Medicine Health Services Research Projects in Progress database (HSRProj).
Awardees should select and register their project on the appropriate site for the study design (Clinicaltrials.gov, RoPR, or other as approved by PCORI before study start date). The Study Identification Number and the Primary Research Completion Date should be submitted to PCORI, and PCORI should be listed as a collaborator for all studies.
Publications and Presentations
Awardees should record information in PCORI Online regarding publications and presentations (scientific and notable lay media coverage) related to your PCORI-funded research. As of January 13, 2018, the reporting of any publications and presentations as well as lay media coverage should be submitted through PCORI Online in your project record under the “Publications” tab. Instructions for doing so are available in the Research Awards User Guide here.
Publications and/or presentations by any member of the research team, including patient and stakeholder partners, should include those:
- Scientific manuscripts in preparation to be submitted
- Scientific manuscripts that have been submitted to a publication
- Scientific manuscripts that have been accepted to a publication
- Scientific manuscripts that are in-press
- Scientific manuscripts that have been published
- Scientific conference abstracts and poster presentations
- Lay media coverage
Please attach any submitted or published manuscripts, other publications, conference abstracts, as well as weblinks or news clips for lay media coverage, etc. to the project record as described in the Research Awards User Guide. Ensure that all publications/communication/media pieces contain the following acknowledgement of PCORI funding and required disclaimer:
"Research reported in this [work, publication, article, report, presentation, etc.] was [partially] funded through a Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI) Award (PCS-1409-24099)".
"The [views, statements, opinions] in this [work, publication, article, report] are solely the responsibility of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views of the Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI), its Board of Governors or Methodology Committee."
Peer Review of Research Studies
By law, all PCORI-funded primary research must undergo peer review and all results must be made available to the public. To comply with the law, PCORI developed a process for peer-reviewing our primary research and making research findings publicly available in a form and format useful to patients, clinicians, and others.
Reporting of Research Results to Study Participants and Partners
As part of our commitment to the patients and other stakeholders who contribute to our research projects, we believe that these participants and partners should be directly informed about the results. We ask that awardee institutions make "every reasonable effort" to ensure that study participants and partners receive the abstract the PCOR Translation Center prepares summarizing a study’s results in an accessible style.
- Return of Results to Study Participants - Background
- Return of Results as Addressed in PCORI's Process for Peer Review of Primary Research and Public Release of Findings
Required PCORI Policies and Guidelines
PCORI Award Policy Statement
This policy statement is forthcoming.
PCORI Policy on Public Access to Journal Articles Presenting Findings from PCORI-Funded Research
This policy assures broad access to these findings, improving the quality of information available to support decisions about health and health care as consistent with PCORI’s mandate. Under this policy, Awardees may request funds to cover the public access fees that journals charge. Awardees will also be asked to deposit their accepted manuscripts in PubMed Central, if the journal that is publishing their manuscript has not already done so.
- Public Access to Journal Articles Presenting Findings from PCORI-Funded Research – Policy
- Instructions for Awardees to Request PCORI Payment of Public Access Fees for Journal Articles
- Depositing Manuscripts in PubMed Central – IMPORTANT: This component of the PCORI Public Access Policy is currently on hold, pending development of an improved process to support individual awardees in depositing manuscripts. You will not be able to deposit your manuscript at this time and are not required to do so. We will alert awardees when appropriate PCORI processes are in place.
- Instructions for Awardees for Depositing Manuscripts in PubMed Central Following Journal Acceptance
- Click here to view a list of journals that handle deposit of their articles to PubMed Central on behalf of their authors.
PCORI Policy on Data and Safety Monitoring Plans for PCORI-Funded Research
This Policy outlines the requirements of the Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI) for data and safety monitoring related to research funded by PCORI.
Guidelines for Use of PCORI Names and Logos
This document provides guidance and other related guidelines for proper usage of PCORI's names and logos.
Guidelines for Use of PCORnet Name and Logos
This document provides guidance and other related guidelines for proper usage of PCORnet’s name and logos.
Additional Resources for Specific Awards
Dissemination & Implementation Awards
- Dissemination & Implementation Evaluation Plan (Updated)
- Dissemination & Implementation Project Summary Template
Obesity Treatment Options Set in Primary Care for Underserved Populations
Eugene Washington PCORI Engagement Awards
- Application Guidelines: Eugene Washington PCORI Engagement Award Program
- Application Guidelines: Engagement Award (EAIN): Research Meeting and Conference Support
- Interim Narrative Report Template
- Final Narrative Report Template
- Standard Agreement for Funded Engagement Award Projects
- Engagement Award for Meeting and Conference Support Lay Conference Summary Template
Posted: December 2013; Updated: February 1, 2018