Since May 2020, the Biweekly COVID-19 Scans have served as a vehicle to inform PCORI and the public about key developments related to the COVID-19 pandemic, and important topics of interest identified during the ongoing scanning and topic identification process or through the ECRI stakeholder survey process.
However, we continued to gather information on potentially disruptive developments across the PCORI HCHSS's 5 other focus areas (i.e., Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias, cancer, cardiovascular diseases, mental and behavioral health conditions, rare diseases) and high-level trends cutting across multiple focus areas. The COVID-19 pandemic also caused impacts and disruptions across the entire health care system.
Therefore, in January 2023, PCORI expanded the scope the HCHSS Biweekly COVID-19 Scans to include any emerging intervention in the HCHSS and renamed the series as the Emerging Health Care Innovation Briefs.
View all the Biweekly COVID-19 Scans, published between May 2020 and December 2022, below.
- Blood Test to Predict COVID-19 Severity, Post-COVID-19 Neuropsychiatric Treatment (December 22, 2022-January 4, 2023)
- Treatment for Post-COVID Conditions, Respiratory Syncytial Virus (RSV) Vaccines (December 8-21, 2022)
- Two Treatments for Patients with COVID-19 and Pneumonia (November 24-December 7)
- Intelligent Automation for Patient Engagement, Transcranial Direct Current Stimulation (November 10-23, 2022)
- Adaptive Platform Trials, Nirmatrelvir Plus Ritonavir (October 27-November 9, 2022)
- Low-Dose Naltrexone, Treatment-Resistant Depression (October 13-26, 2022)
- Treating Post-COVID Conditions and Patients in Critically Ill Conditions (September 29-October 12, 2022)
- Psychotherapeutic Intervention for Veterans, Clinical Trial Modules for Vaccine Development (September 15-28, 2022)
- Diagnosing Post-COVID Conditions, Treatment for Severe COVID-19 (September 1-14, 2022)
- Bivalent Booster Vaccines, Treatment for Post-COVID Conditions (August 18-31, 2022)
- Treating Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome (POTS) and Systemic Inflammation (August 4-17, 2022)
- Booster Vaccine, Targeted Information Campaigns (July 21-August 3, 2022)
- Big Data to Improve Diagnosis, Virtual Reality to Support Mental Wellbeing (July 7-20, 2022)
- Telehealth Utilization and Reimbursements, Sanofi-GSK Booster Vaccine (June 23-July 6, 2022)
- Treating COVID-19-Associated Lung Failure, New Vaccine for Prevention (June 9-22, 2022)
- Adoption of IA in Revenue Cycle Management, Treating Fibromyalgia-Like Symptoms (May 26-June 8, 2022)
- People with Compromised Immune Systems, Addressing Depression in Adolescents (May 12-25, 2022)
- Treatment for Children Under Age 12, Treating Postpartum Depression (April 28-May 11, 2022)
- Treatment for Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome, Breathalyzer to Detect Infection (April 14-27, 2022)
- Adoption of Decentralized Clinical Trials, Treatment for Mild to Moderate COVID-19 (March 31-April 13, 2022)
- Increasing Access to Antiviral Treatments, Vaccines for Children Aged 4 and Younger (March 17-30, 2022)
- Identifying Patients With Post-COVID Conditions, Administering Dental Health Care (March 3-16, 2022)
- Addressing Nursing Shortages, Decreased Routine Vaccination (February 17-March 2, 2022)
- Treating Mild to Moderate COVID-19, Addressing Health Care Staffing Shortages (February 3-16, 2022)
- Omicron-Specific mRNA Vaccines, Pediatric Recovery Programs (January 20-February 2, 2022)
- Treating Mild to Moderate COVID-19, Mental and Behavioral Health in Adolescents/Young Adults (January 6-19, 2022)
- Integrated Testing Platforms, Vaccine Mandates for Children (December 23, 2021-January 5, 2022)
- Three Potential Treatments for Long COVID (December 9-22, 2021)
- Bucillamine - Oral Anti-Inflammatory Drug, Direct-to-consumer Telehealth Platforms (November 25-December 5, 2021)
- School-located Vaccine Clinics, Test-to-Stay Risk Mitigation (November 11-24, 2021)
- Treatments for Hospitalized Patients and Patients with Mild to Moderate COVID-19 (October 28-November 10, 2021)
- Mobile Health Application, National Black Church Initiative (October 14-27, 2021)
- Treating COVID-19 Pneumonia and Mild to Moderate COVID-19 (September 30-October 13, 2021)
- Mental Health Screening in Schools, Post-Exposure Prophylaxis (September 16-29, 2021)
- C21 (VP01) for Severe COVID-19, Corneal Confocal Microscopy (September 2-15, 2021)
- Monoclonal Antibody Clinics, Vaccines for Children Under 12 Years (August 19-September 1, 2021)
- Additional Dose of mRNA Vaccine, Post-Exposure Prophylaxis (August 5-18, 2021)
- Deupirfenidone (LYT-100) to Treat Adults, Vaccine Mandates (July 22-August 4, 2021)
- Reinstating Mask Mandates, Potential Treatment for COVID-19 and ARDS (July 8-21, 2021)
- Treating COVID-19 With Respiratory Failure, WhatsApp Spanish Chat Initiative (June 24-July 7, 2021)
- Incentive Programs for Vaccine Uptake, Investigational Outpatient Treatment (June 10-23, 2021)
- Treating Mild to Moderate COVID-19, Hospital-to-Home Programs (May 27-June 9, 2021)
- Cognitive Rehabilitation Therapy, Tele-rehabilitation Programs (May 13-26, 2021)
- Treating Severe ARDS, COVID Test Initiative (April 29-May 12, 2021)
- Treating Patients Hospitalized with COVID-19 (April 15-28, 2021)
- Leftover Vaccine Doses, Detecting SARS-CoV-2 Variants (April 1-14, 2021)
- Treatments for Patients With Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome (March 18-31, 2021)
- Drive-through Vaccination Clinics, Nitazoxanide (March 4-17, 2021)
- Digital Immunization Records, Variant-Specific Vaccines (February 20-March 3, 2021)
- Mental Health Services and Reducing Stress for Health Care Workers (February 6-19, 2021)
- Vaccines to Prevent Infections (January 23-February 5, 2021)
- Smartphone Applications, Surveillance Programs (January 9-22, 2021)
- Testing Impact Calculator, Ellume Home Test (December 24, 2020-January 8, 2021)
- Baricitinib and Remdesivir, Mobile Health Clinics (December 10-23, 2020)
- All-in-One Test Kit, RLF-100 (Aviptadill) (November 21-December 9, 2020)
- Vaccine Allocation Planner, Vaccine Safety Assessment for Essential Workers (November 12-20, 2020)
- CD24Fc (SACCOVID), Sepsis Diagnostic Tests (October 29-November 11, 2020)
- AI-Assisted Radiographic Image Assessment, Dual Point-of-Care Nucleic Acid Assays (October 15-28, 2020)
- Colchicine, Monoclonal Antibodies for Treating Patients with COVID-19 (October 1-14, 2020)
- College, University, and Employee Testing Programs (September 17-30, 2020)
- BinaxNOW COVID-19 Ag Card, Saliva-based Nucleic Acid Assays (September 3-16, 2020)
- Convalescent Plasma, Remdesivir (August 20-September 2, 2020)
- Next-Generation Sequencing Assays, Point-of-Care Breath Test (August 6-August 19, 2020)
- Negative-Pressure Tents, Reusable Silicone Respirators (July 23-August 5, 2020)
- Vaccines for Preventing Coronavirus Infection (July 9-July 22, 2020)
- Isolation Bags for Safe CT Imaging, Population-wide Antibody Testing (June 25-July 8, 2020)
- Point-of-Care Tests, Dexamethasone (June 11-June 24, 2020)
- Contact Tracing, mRNA Vaccine, Patient Load Management (May 28-June 10, 2020)
- Anakinra (Kineret) and Self-Collection Test Kit (May 14-May 27, 2020)
In early 2020, the COVID-19 pandemic created a fast-moving, widespread public health crisis. In May 2020, PCORI expanded its PCORI Health Care Horizon Scanning System (HCHSS) to elucidate the landscape of potentially impactful applications for COVID-19.
The HCHSS COVID-19 supplement scans for, identifies, monitors, and reports on emerging and available COVID-19-related treatments, diagnostics, preventive measures, management strategies, and systems changes with potential for high impact to patient outcomes—for individuals and populations—in the United States in the next 12 months.
Commentary in these COVID-19 Scans reflected preliminary views of ECRI Horizon Scanning and internal ECRI stakeholders. The information contained in the documents was not vetted by other stakeholders.
A representative from PCORI served as a contracting officer’s technical representative and provided input during the implementation of the horizon scanning system. PCORI does not directly participate in horizon scanning or assessing leads or topics and did not provide opinions regarding potential impact of interventions.
We welcome your comments on the Scans at [email protected].
|The PCORI Health Care Horizon Scanning System is operated by ECRI under contract to PCORI, Washington, DC (Contract No. MSA-HORIZSCAN-ECRI-ENG-2018.7.12). The content included in these documents do not necessarily represent the views of PCORI. PCORI does not make any guarantees with respect to the accuracy or reliability of the information in the content, nor does PCORI necessarily endorse the content or results contained therein.|
This work is made available under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License (CC BY-NC-ND 4.0 International).
For more information: https://creativecommons. org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/.
What's Happening at PCORI?
The Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute sends weekly emails about opportunities to apply for funding, newly funded research studies and engagement projects, results of our funded research, webinars, and other new information posted on our site.