AHRQ’s Jean Slutsky Named Director for PCORI’s Communication and Dissemination Research Program
- The PCORI Strategic Plan
- Clinical Effectiveness and Decision Science
- Dissemination and Implementation
- Evaluation and Analysis
- Healthcare Delivery and Disparities Research
- PCOR Infrastructure & Innovation
- Our Vision & Mission
- Financial Statements and Reports
- The PCORI Strategic Plan
- Board of Governors
- Methodology Committee
- Authorizing Law
- Evaluating Our Work
- PCORI's Advisory Panels
- Procurement Opportunities
Past Opportunities to Provide Input
- Stakeholder Views on Components of 'Patient-Centered Value' in Health and Health Care (2023)
- PCORI's Proposed Research Agenda (2021-2022)
- Proposed National Priorities for Health (2021)
- Proposed Principles for the Consideration of the Full Range of Outcomes Data in PCORI-Funded Research (2020)
- Proposed New PCORI Methodology Standards (2018)
- Data Access and Data Sharing Policy: Public Comment (2017)
- Proposed New PCORI Methodology Standards (2017)
Comment on the Proposed New and Revised PCORI Methodology Standards (2016)
- 1. Standards for Formulating Research Questions
- 10: Standards for Studies of Diagnostic Tests
- 12. Standards on Research Designs Using Clusters
- 13: General Comments on the Proposed Revisions to the PCORI Methodology Standards
- 2: Standards Associated with Patient-Centeredness
- 3: Standards for Data Integrity and Rigorous Analysis
- 4: Standards for Preventing and Handling Missing Data
- 5: Standards for Heterogeneity of Treatment Effects
- 6: Standards for Data Registries
- 7: Standards for Data Networks as Research-Facilitating Structures
- 8. Standards for Causal Inference Methods
- 9. Standards for Adaptive Trial Designs
- Peer-Review Process Comments (2014)
- Draft Methodology Report Public Comment Period (2012)
- Past Opportunities to Provide Input
For Immediate Release Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute
WASHINGTON, D.C. (Jan. 9, 2014) – Jean Slutsky, PA, MSPH, will join the Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute as Director of PCORI’s Communication and Dissemination Research Program. She comes to PCORI from the U.S. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) where she has directed the Center for Outcomes and Evidence since 2003.
In her new role at PCORI, Slutsky will be responsible for leading a program that has committed more than $43 million to research on how to most effectively communicate and disseminate research results among patients, caregivers, clinicians and other critical health and healthcare decision-makers. The program carries out its work under one of PCORI’s five National Priorities for Research. With her arrival on Monday, Feb. 17, PCORI will have senior leaders for all six of its scientific programs.
Close collaboration between PCORI and AHRQ is essential to coordinating dissemination activities and avoiding duplication of goals. Slutsky’s experience at the agency and her leadership in developing programs to advance CER and the translation and implementation of CER findings make her an ideal leader for PCORI’s Communication and Dissemination Research program, says PCORI Chief Science Officer Bryan Luce, PhD, MBA.
“As the research we fund begins producing results, and as the field of comparative effectiveness research grows and evolves, it will become ever more critical to know how to advance the uptake of evidence in practice and help patients, clinicians and others make better-informed clinical decisions,” Luce said. “We will benefit greatly from Jean Slutsky’s recognized expertise in this field.”
During her tenure at AHRQ, Slutsky oversaw several clinical outcomes and effectiveness research activities, including the Effective Health Care Program; Evidence-based Practice Center program; Technology Assessment Program; extramural and intramural research portfolios concerning translating research into practice, pharmaceutical outcomes, and cost-effectiveness analyses; and the National Guideline, Quality Measures, and Health Care Innovations Exchange Clearinghouses. She also has served as a project director for the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force.
That experience will be especially valuable as PCORI builds its infrastructure for research dissemination and implementation activities, Luce said. PCORI held a roundtable on these topics in July 2013 and issued a Request for Proposals to develop a blueprint for a Dissemination and Implementation Action Plan in September 2013. An awardee is expected to be announced on Monday, Feb. 3.
In addition to her work at AHRQ, Slutsky currently serves as a member of PCORI’s Methodology Committee, which developed the PCORI Methodology Report, a compilation of baseline requirements for following best practices in the conduct of scientifically valid patient-centered outcomes research. She also is a member of the AcademyHealth Methods Council.
The Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI) is an independent, non-profit organization authorized by Congress in 2010. Its mission is to fund research that will provide patients, their caregivers and clinicians with the evidence-based information needed to make better-informed healthcare decisions. PCORI is committed to continuously seeking input from a broad range of stakeholders to guide its work.
The Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI) is an independent nonprofit organization authorized by Congress in 2010. Its mission is to fund research that will provide patients, their caregivers and clinicians with the evidence-based information needed to make better-informed healthcare decisions. PCORI is committed to continually seeking input from a broad range of stakeholders to guide its work.
For Media Inquiries Only, Contact:
- Associate Director of Media Relations
- Senior Media Relations Specialist
Recent News Releases
What's Happening at PCORI?
The Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute sends weekly emails about opportunities to apply for funding, newly funded research studies and engagement projects, results of our funded research, webinars, and other new information posted on our site.