Christine Goertz, DC, PhD, is the Chief Executive Officer of the Spine Institute for Quality. She is also an Adjunct Associate at the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Duke University Medical Center.
Prior to joining Spine Institute for Quality, she was vice chancellor of research and health policy at Palmer College of Chiropractic for 11 years. Her 25-year research career has focused on working with multidisciplinary teams to design and implement clinical and health services research studies designed to increase knowledge about the effectiveness and cost of complementary and integrative healthcare delivery. She has extensive experience in the administration of Federal grants, both as a principal investigator and as a program official at the National Institutes of Health (NIH). Goertz has received more than $30 million in federal funding as an investigator, primarily from NIH and the Department of Defense. Her areas of focus include the investigation of manual therapies for spine-related disorders, and integrative healthcare for cardiovascular disease.
Goertz is a member of the NIH/NCCIH National Advisory Council. She also chairs the American Chiropractic Association’s Committee on Quality Assurance and Accountability. She received her Doctor of Chiropractic degree from Northwestern Health Sciences University and her PhD in health services research, policy and administration from the University of Minnesota.
Goertz, who has been a member of the PCORI Board since 2010 and assumed numerous leadership roles, served as its Vice Chairperson from September 2018 to September 2019 and has been serving as its Chairperson since September 2019.
Conflict of Interest Disclosures
As of January 21, 2019
- Spine IQ, Employer
- Christine Goertz LLC, Owner, Self and Spouse
- University of Iowa, Faculty
- RAND Corporation, Consultant
- American Chiropractic Association, Consultant
- Healthwise, Inc., Consultant
- Quality Insights of Pennsylvania, Consultant
- Palmer College of Chiropractic, Consultant
- National Institutes of Health, Advisory Board Member (Compensated Position)
- Duke University, Consultant
- Mount Sinai Medical Center, Consultant
- Chiropractic & Manual Therapies, Editorial Board member
- Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics, Editorial Board member
- American Chiropractic Association, Member
- American Public Health Association, Member
- World Federation of Chiropractic, Board officer
- Drake University, College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences, Active Volunteer, Spouse