Danny van Leeuwen, MPH, RN, CPHQ
Founder, Health Hats
Represented: Patients, Caregivers, and Patient Advocates
Danny van Leeuwen, MPH, RN, is a patient and caregiver activist empowering people traveling together toward their best health. Living with multiple sclerosis, he is committed to health equity and learning and sharing what works for best health. He serves people who help people by leveraging privilege and experience as a nurse, caregiver, data geek, and leader to open seats at the table of healthcare governance, design, operations, and research for underrepresented and underserved communities. He is a speaker, podcaster, technical expert, user tester, capacity builder, musician, and Opa.
Van Leeuwen has been a podcaster and weekly blogger for more than six years at www.health-hats.com, focusing on health equity, healthcare decision making, pain management, and learning and sharing what works.
He serves on the steering committee of AHRQ’s Patient-Centered Clinical Decision Support Learning Network and as a reviewer for PCORI research funding applications. He participates in the National Academy of Medicine’s Digital Learning Collaborative on Patient Ownership of Data and Data Sharing. He served as a technical expert for the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services-funded Supporting Efficiency and Innovation in the Process of Developing CMS Quality Measures. He serves as an advisor to the California Compassionate Care Coalition. He served as a technical expert for the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services-funded Supporting Efficiency and Innovation in the Process of Developing CMS Quality Measures.
Van Leeuwen previously served on the Advisory Panel on Clinical Effectiveness and Decision Science from August 2015 to August 2019, and on the Advisory Panel on Patient Engagement from August 2019 to September 2020.
In September 2020, van Leeuwen was appointed as a member of the PCORI Board of Governors.
Conflicts of Interest
As of July 21, 2023
Financial or Business Associations:
- Health Hats, Owner
- RTI International, Consultant
- Lahey Hospital and Medical Center, Employer, Spouse
- Abridge.com, Podcast Sponsor
- National Quality Forum, Advisory Board Member (Compensated Position)
- Society of Participatory Medicine, Member
- Journal of Participatory Medicine, Editorial Board Member
- Society to Improve Diagnosis in Medicine, Member
- British Medical Journal, Reviewer
- Academy of Communication in Healthcare, Member
- Innovation and Value Initiative (IVI) Foundation, Active Volunteer
- The Light Collective, Member of 2023 Cohort
- Advisory Panel Member