Jennifer (Jen) DeVoe, MD, MPhil, MCR, DPhil, FAAFP, is a practicing family physician, health services researcher, and national primary care leader based in Portland, Oregon. As the John & Sherrie Saultz Professor and Chair of the Oregon Health & Science University (OHSU) Department of Family Medicine, she oversees nearly 200 faculty, 72 resident physicians, and several of OHSU’s primary care clinics.
From 2010 to 2016, DeVoe served as the first Chief Research Officer and Executive Director of the OCHIN practice-based research network, where she led the development of a unique community laboratory, linking together electronic health record (EHR) data from over 400 community health center clinics across multiple states to build the most robust safety-net research database in the country. She is the past President of the North American Primary Care Research Group, the premier international professional organization for primary care researchers. DeVoe currently serves as a principal investigator or co-investigator on several large federally funded research studies. She studies access to health care, disparities in care, and how policy changes and transformations in primary care affect patients’ health outcomes. She and her team pioneered the use of EHR data in research, studying primary care utilization by uninsured and underinsured populations, which has garnered her national attention, particularly relating to the Affordable Care Act. She was elected to the National Academy of Medicine (previously the Institute of Medicine) in 2014.
DeVoe holds joint appointments in the OHSU Department of Medical Informatics and Clinical Epidemiology, the OHSU-PSU School of Public Health, and at the Kaiser Permanente Northwest Center for Health Research. DeVoe graduated with a bachelor’s degree from Montana State University in 1993 and an MD from Harvard Medical School in 1999. She was awarded a Rhodes Scholarship in 1997 and earned an MPhil and DPhil degree from Oxford University in 1998 and 2001, respectively. She completed her family medicine residency in 2004 and a master’s in clinical research from OHSU in 2010.
Conflict of Interest Disclosures
As of May 28, 2019
- Oregon Health and Science University, Employer
- Oregon Community Health Information Network (OCHIN), Research Advisor
- National Institutes of Health (NHLBI, NCI), Receive research funding
- Agency for Healthcare Research & Quality (AHRQ), Receive research funding
- National Health, Lung, and Blood Institute, National Advisory Committee Member (stipend for meetings)
- Virginia Commonwealth University, CTSA External Advisory Group Member (honorarium for meetings)
- American Board of Family Medicine, Exam Writer (honorarium for meetings)
- American Academy of Family Physicians,
- Annals of Family Medicine Journal External Advisory Board member
- Family Medicine for America’s Health Board member
- National Academies of Science, Engineering and Medicine
- Health and Medicine Division, Health Care Services Board member
- Committee on Applying Neurobiological and Socio-behavioral Sciences from Prenatal to Early Childhood Development: A Health Equity Approach, Committee Chair
- Puffer Fellow Selection Committee Member
- American Board of Family Medicine, Journal of the American Board of Family Medicine, Editorial Advisory Board
- Mayo Clinic Proceedings Journal, Family Medicine Section Editor
- Montana State University Honors College, External Advisory Board member
- North American Primary Care Research Group, Committee member