Kara Ayers, PhD
Kara Ayers, PhD, is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Pediatrics at the University of Cincinnati. As the Associate Director of the University of Cincinnati Center for Excellence in Developmental Disabilities, Ayers applies her professional knowledge, research experience, and personal perspective to make systemic changes to improve the lives of people with disabilities.
Her areas of interest and research include disability policy, parenting with a disability, self-advocacy, psychosocial development with a disability, and disability in the media. Her dissertation focused on the psychosocial development of children and adolescents with osteogenesis imperfecta, also known as brittle bone disease.
Ayers is also the co-founder of the Disabled Parenting Project, a peer-to-peer support network for parents with disabilities. She has served for the past five years on the boards of the Osteogenesis Imperfecta Foundation and The Association for Successful Parenting.
Ayers received her PhD in clinical psychology from Nova Southeastern University.
Ayers was appointed as a member of the PCORI Board of Governors by the Comptroller General of the United States in September 2018.
Conflicts of Interest
As of January 16, 2022
Financial or Business Associations:
- Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center, Employer
- TriHealth, Employer, Parent
- University of Cincinnati, Employer
- Ivy Tech Community College, Employer
- McGraw-Hill, Advisory Board Member (Compensated Position)
- City of Indianapolis, Office of the Mayor, Consultant
- National Council on Disability, Employer
- Quantum Rehab, Employer
- Osteogenesis Imperfecta Foundation, Active Volunteer, Spouse
- Osteogenesis Imperfecta Foundation, Member
- Association of University Centers on Disabilities, Board Member
- Ohio State Independent Living Center, Board Member
- Center for Independent Living Options, Advisory Council Member (Non-compensated position)
- Health Policy Institute of Ohio, Board Member
- American Psychological Association, Active Volunteer
- Board Member
- Standing Selection Committee