Kermit Heid is a 16-year prostate cancer survivor who has played various advocacy roles since he was treated in 1998. He is currently a member of the Steering Committee of the President’s Elite Council of NPAF. Kermit has participated in three review panels at PCORI and is currently serving his second cycle as a Mentor. He has also participated in peer-review panels at NCI and CDMRP. Kermit’s best advocacy effort was in 2001 when, at the age of 68, he completed a solo transcontinental bicycle ride on behalf of prostate cancer awareness. Utilizing presentations and radio, TV, and newspaper interviews, he reached an audience of 15 million people. He also recently had an active role in passing legislation for oral chemotherapy parity and a special license plate for prostate cancer in Utah. Finally, as a founding member, he has served as treasurer for NASPCC for three years.
- PCORI’s Assessment of Prevention, Diagnosis, and Treatment Options Funding Priority
- PCORI’s Improving Healthcare Systems Funding Priority
- PCORI’s Addressing Disparities Funding Priority
- Health and healthcare outcomes of low-income groups
- Health and healthcare outcomes of older adults (age 65 and older)
- Health and healthcare outcomes of individuals with multiple chronic diseases