Results Summary and Professional Abstract
Considering Patient Concerns during Trauma Care
A narrative highlighting the work and progress of this project's principal investigator and his patient co-investigator, who used his experience with patient-focused care after a traumatic accident at a young age to guide the study.
Peer review of PCORI-funded research helps make sure the report presents complete, balanced, and useful information about the research. It also confirms that the research has followed PCORI’s Methodology Standards. During peer review, experts who were not members of the research team read a draft report of the research. These experts may include a scientist focused on the research topic, a specialist in research methods, a patient or caregiver, and a healthcare professional. Reviewers do not have conflicts of interest with the study.
The peer reviewers point out where the draft report may need revision. For example, they may suggest ways to improve how the research team analyzed its results or reported its conclusions. Learn more about PCORI’s peer-review process here.
In response to peer review, the PI made changes including
- Providing additional detail about how the stakeholder team input affected the study protocol and how the membership of the stakeholder team changed during the study.
- Adding a table to the Methods section to describe the interventions to be compared in response to reviewer comments that the section had been difficult to follow.
- Including additional information about prespecified statistical analyses, how patient subgroups were formed and the related analyses, and characteristics of the measures used to assess outcomes, in order to better address the PCORI Methodology Standards.
- Detailing the qualifications and training of the research assistants who conducted patient assessments. The researchers reported favorable postintervention feedback from patients about the research assistants.
- Describing further the measurement of patient concerns at the 3- and 6-month post-injury follow-up.
Conflict of Interest Disclosures
View the COI disclosure form.
Other Health Services Interventions
Individuals with Multiple Chronic/co-morbid Conditions