HealthCore, Inc. is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Anthem, Inc., and empowers decision makers to act with precision to improve quality, safety, and affordability in health care. Anthem’s mission is to improve the health of the people we serve by working with physicians, hospitals, and other providers to help ensure that care is accessible, coordinated, and timely, and provided in a manner and setting that promotes positive patient-provider relationships. In 12 of our 14 Anthem states, the Anthem plans are the number 1 commercial health plan based on plan membership. For this initiative, we intend to engage directly with five CDRNs:
- The New York City Clinical Data Research Network (NYC-CDRN) overlapping our Empire Blue plan in New York and Anthem plan in Connecticut;
- National Pediatric Learning Health System (PEDSnet) overlapping our Anthem plan in the states of Colorado, Ohio, Missouri, and Georgia;
- Patient-oriented SCAlable National Network for Effectiveness Research (pSCANNER) overlapping our Anthem plan in California and our veteran population nationwide;
- Greater Plains Collaborative (GPC) overlapping our Anthem plans in Indiana, Missouri, and Wisconsin;
- Mid-South CDRN overlapping our Anthem plans in Georgia, Kentucky, and Virginia, with state of residence membership in Tennessee, North Carolina, and South Carolina.
The proposed collaboration will advance the PCORnet mission to improve the nation’s capacity to conduct clinical research by creating a large, highly representative, national patient-centered network that supports more efficient clinical trials and observational studies. We will specifically engage patient stakeholders as key collaborators in our clinical data discussions. In year 1 of our award, we will support the PCORnet demonstration projects and the longitudinal data needs to support the proposed research aims. In years 2 and 3 of the award, we intend to build a sustainable research environment to address patient-centered comparative effectiveness research. We will achieve these aims by closing the gaps in data to support a Learning Health System (LHS) to address both gaps in evidence and gaps in care. This LHS will advance the quality of care Anthem delivers to its members and provide real-world evidence to patient-centered research.